Dental Phobia, Fear, & Anxiety in NYC
Are You Afraid of Going to The Dentist?
You are not alone. Many others in New York City have dental phobia or fear of the dentist. Fear of the dentist is not something you are born with. You are born with the fear of the unknown or falling but not the fear of the dentist. This is normally acquired by some past story or bad experience. However, dentistry has changed a lot since you were young and went to the dentist. Dental treatment is virtually painless today, especially at 212-Smiling in Manhattan!
Here are a few new methods that we use in our office and you should ask your dentist for:
- Topical Anesthetic – numbs the gum
- Painless Anesthesia Techniques – using an ultra-fine instrument (pin), a pinch is all you would feel.
- Relaxation Therapy – listening to music with headphones or watching television which helps you relax while the dentist performs the treatment.
- Relaxation Sedation Therapy– medication taken by mouth 1 to 2 hours before treatment, which helps you to relax or sleep through the procedure. Many patients report not remembering the treatment at all!
- Drill-less Dental System – a device that does not use a drill but a stream of air with aluminum oxide (a substance found in toothpaste). In most cases, Novocain is not necessary.
- Laser Dentistry – a special light beam that is used to treat gum disease. This device also avoids in many cases the use of Novocain.
Most of all, you must discuss your fears with your dentist and he must meet your needs accordingly. Dentists are there to listen to your fears. Never be intimidated by the dentist. Ask as many questions as you wish, the more you know about the unknown the more confident and at ease you will feel!