What is Invisalign?
Invisalign aligners are wearable trays which slowly help you straighten your teeth inconspicuously. Sometimes referred to as “invisible braces,” “clear braces,” “adult braces,” or “adult orthodontics” (since many adults favor its subtlety), Invisalign uses a series of clear removable aligners to straighten your teeth without metal wires or brackets. Invisalign has been proven effective in clinical research and in orthodontic practices nationwide. In fact, over 70% of all U.S. orthodontists are certified to treat patients with Invisalign.
How Does Invisalign Teeth Straightening Work?
A dentist who does Invisalign work takes dental impressions, x-rays, and photographs of the patient’s teeth and then sends them to Align Technology. The impressions go through a CT scan from which a computer creates a 3-D replica. Technicians then individualize the teeth in the computer model and move them to their final position as prescribed by the orthodontist. A plastic resin aligner is manufactured for each phase of the computer simulation and sent to the orthodontist.
Custom Prescription with 3-D Computer Imaging Technology We develop a custom prescription for your mouth. We use the latest technology to first get a great image of your mouth. Then using this technology, we design the patient’s complete treatment plan from the initial teeth positioning all the way to the desired final positioning.
Scheduled Visits for Treatment at Our Center When you begin treatment, you’ll wear each set of aligners in approximately two-week increments. The aligners gently move your teeth into position, and at the end of each two-week period, you “graduate” to the next set of custom aligners. You’ll see our doctors every 6 to 8 weeks for adjustments and to check progress.
A Clear, Comfortable Experience Since Invisalign is practically invisible, there is no unwarranted attention to your mouth. In fact, very few people will notice at all that you are wearing braces at all – unless you tell them!
Advantages of Invisalign
- One of the most obvious reasons to use invisible braces is for looking good while making sure that your teeth are taken care of and can be straightened eventually. This alternative would be very popular among adults who have a great need to look good and that is not possible with conventional wire and metal braces.
- Smooth, easy to use and safe, unlike the wire and metal braces, Invisalign cannot harm your teeth or gums as much as a normal brace might. It is especially soft on the tissues so you can rest assured that Invisalign is a smooth, safe and easy option to opt for.
Disadvantages of Invisalign
- Invisalign has to removed each time you need to eat or drink. They also have to remove each time you brush your teeth and also show your teeth to the dentist. Quite a hassle if you eat 5 meals a day, brush twice a day and see a dentist once every 6 months, don’t you think.
- From the point above, think about it this way: if you remove the Invisalign all the time, how does it really work on your teeth? Braces, in this sense, are in constant touch with your teeth and help straighten it.
- Invisable teeth aligners have a tendency to get damaged when a patient clenches, grinds or applies any sort of excess pressure on teeth normally or while sleeping.
- Invisalign has a possibility of causing throat problems and some other conditions due to the material they are made of. Although this isn’t a conclusive finding, you must consult your dentist before you undergo any Invisalign NYC treatment.
Some Normal Causes of Invisalign Pain
Pain varies case to case depending on the severity of tooth movement a patient needs but is usually worst during the first days of a new set of aligners. Some recommendations to reduce pain include:
- Changing aligner sets at night so your teeth will adjust to initial shock while you sleep.
- Take two over-the-counter pain relief medicines, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, ever 4-6 hours for the first few days.
- Look at pictures of people with beautiful teeth to remind you of your ultimate goal by wearing Invisalign braces.
Cleaning Invisalign Invisible Braces
Cleaning Invisalign invisible braces is important to keep teeth healthy and strong. Here is the best way to get you invisible braces clean:
- Soak your aligners using one tablet of denture cleaner in the morning and one tablet in the evening for about 1 hour each time.
- If you are trying a brand of denture cleaner for the first time, monitor your aligners for any major etching and stop using the cleaner if damage occurs.
- Use baking soda as an alternative. Dissolve one tablespoon of baking soda in half a cup of water and soak like you would with denture cleaner.
- Brush aligners with a soft child’s toothbrush after you soak them to remove all traces of cleaner and rinse thoroughly.
Invisalign vs Traditional Braces
Invisalign for adults does offer several drawbacks. Similar to braces for adults, there is a “learning curve” to getting used to the feel of them inside your mouth. New users of Invisalign are likely to have a lisp for a few of the first days, but this will go away. Additionally, because they are removable (which is a good thing), users will have to be disciplined to keep their aligners for at least 22 hours a day. Braces for adults do not offer such temptation because of their permanence.
However, braces for adults are a thing of the past. Besides the aesthetics, the functionality and technical advances made over the past 5 years has made Invisalign the unanimous winner for working professionals. Those looking to correct their smile are usually conscious about appearance. With Invisalign, patients can put social anxiety aside and focus on their careers and personal lives.
Invisalign is for Everyone
The days of elementary school and high school “metal mouth” are all but disappeared because of a host of advanced, more inconspicuous and stylish options for aligning your teeth. In the past, teenagers who needed orthodontic work had no choice but to wear traditional metal braces and the ridicule they seem to invite.
But thanks to technological advances and the recent trend of celebrities undergoing and promoting treatment, orthodontics is actually becoming cool. Teens today have more options than their parents ever had, from conventional metal braces and colored bands to nearly invisible, clear and ceramic brackets – or the truly state-of-the-art removable Invisalign.
Recent studies conducted by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry reveal that 92% of adults surveyed said that an attractive smile is a social asset – but only 50% of those adults were satisfied with their own smile. Because of Invisalign, the number of adults willing to undergo treatment is soaring to unprecedented heights. Finally, the perfect smile can be had without having to spend years of discomfort and self-consciousness sporting a metal mouth.
Invisalign is softer and actually works as a mouth guard. Not only is it safer, but it’s recommended to keep in during games. If you are looking for a teeth straightening solution, there are is no downside to choosing Invisalign over braces. You will benefit from the less intrusive aligner, and you will still be able to wear a mouth guard if your sport demands such protection. If you are athlete at the high school, collegiate or professional level, Invisalign is the “clear” choice.
How to Remove the Aligners
It may take a few weeks to get acclimated to your aligners, but it sure beats wearing braces and all the fine tuning they require. After a couple weeks of proper care, it will become routine to remove and clean your Invisalign aligners. Here’s a quick list of tips for how to remove Invisalign trays:
- Start at the back – Slowly lift the trays off of the back molars and work your ways to the front of your mouth. With the harder areas, try to use your fingernails to get under and lift the aligner.
- Use a paper towel – To get a proper grip, try using a thick paper towel to place over the tray. This will increase your control during the removal process.
- Try using an aligner hook – These are sometimes given out by the Invisalign provider, but can also be purchased. They are made to hook underneath the tray and help pry off.
- Don’t remove right away – In the early stages, its best to leave them in as long as possible. Otherwise, they will move back and cause problems.
- Leave it in at night – Never take out before going to bed! You want them to work while you’re sleeping because it’s uninterrupted time for your teeth to shift properly.
Teeth Whitening With Your Invisalign Attachments
There is some concern about whitening teeth with Invisalign due to the composite attachments that are placed on the teeth to hold the aligners. In some cases, where these attachments are located, there will be dark spots on the teeth since these areas will not be bleached.
This, however, is extremely avoidable. It is important to plan ahead for teeth whitening at the beginning of the procedure. Let your dentist know that you would like to use whitening gel in your aligners and arrange to get attachments that are whiter than your teeth. Selecting an attachment shade that is the color you expect your whitened teeth to be will allow the attachments to match your new white smile. Alternatively, you can use the clear aligners as whitening trays at the end of your treatment once the attachments have been removed.
Can I Use Invisalign With Crowns?
Invisalign with crowns is a great option for the reason that the trays do not actually have to bond to the teeth. This makes it less likely for the crowns to become loose or detach from the actual tooth. In some cases, the dentist may have to attach some small clear attachments to the teeth in order to protect the crown, but this is an easy and effective process. Some ways to tell if Invisalign in NYC is a good option with your crowned teeth are below:
- Your teeth are rooted soundly
- Your teeth are slight to moderately misaligned/ spaced
- Your crown(s) are suitably attached & sealed to the tooth
Invisalign for a Crossbite
Invisalign treatment involves the use of a series of clear, plastic trays that gently realign your teeth, revealing a beautiful, straight smile. Unlike metal braces, these trays are virtually invisible and can be removed when eating, drinking, and brushing your teeth. They are also more comfortable than metal braces.
Invisalign will treat your crossbite with customized trays specifically for your mouth. This customization can oftentimes mean that you can receive more accurate results treating your crossbite with Invisalign. Each tray in your custom series is worn for approximately two weeks. With each Invisalign tray, your crossbite will be less severe. At the end of the treatment, you will see a new, crossbite-free smile.
Fixing crossbite with Invisalign is the perfect way to correct your smile without causing a major interference in your daily life.
Is Invisalign for You? Make an Appointment
If you would like to know more about Invisalign and figure out if you are allowed to be a candidate for this product, make an appointment with 212 Smile. Each of the issues that stem from Invisalign can be corrected with time. If you are in need of cosmetic dentistry services in the NYC area, then make an appointment online or call today at 212-764-5464.