Pain After Tooth Extraction & Dental Surgery– End it today
Dental After Care in Manhattan, New York
When it comes to dental after care, we ask that you follow the instructions below carefully. They will greatly assist you in having a smooth recovery from your surgical procedures. Your results not only depend on the actual procedure but also on the quality of the dental after care.
1. Swelling Control:
Place an ice bag on the outside of the face that corresponds to the operative site. Alternate 15 minutes on and 10 minutes off for at least two to three hours.
2. Bleeding Control:
- Keep firm pressure with gauze over the surgical site for at least two hours – changing the gauze frequently, as it becomes soiled.
- Do not rinse your mouth for at least 24 hours.
- Do not drink from a straw for 24 hours.
- Avoid smoking for at least 24 hours – and longer, if possible.
- If bleeding still persists, place a moist tea bag over the surgical site, and apply firm biting pressure.
3. Comfort Control:
- Take pain medication as prescribed.
- Stay away from extremes in temperature and spices.
- Keep to a softer diet for at least 24 hours.
4. Hygiene control:
- Starting 24 hours after the surgery, begin salt & water
or peroxide and water rinses four times per day for one to two weeks.
- Light brushing around the surgical site should be started at this time, as well. Brush more vigorously each day as comfort allows.
Call us at (212) SMILING should there be any questions or excessive pain and discomfort.